Athena - Book Repair and Restoration - 7th July 2021
Have you ever been devastated by damaged spines or torn paper in your most beloved books? Well, fear not! Come and learn all about book repairs and restoration in this open workshop that we run every month.
Since each session is tailored to the specific book/project you bring in, make sure you bring along your repair work, paper-backed, leather and cloth-bound books and learn to repair them with individual attention and teaching from the tutor. While some bookbinding skills will be useful for this class, it is also suitable for beginners.
What kind of work can you expect to do?
• Accessing the damage and making decision on what to repair, restore or renew.
• Paper repairs in the context of repairs both in situ and to flat documents.
• Re-backs and repairs to bound books and flat works on paper
• Colouring of cloth and paper
• Repair to corners will also be covered
• Paper repairs will be undertaken where necessary including the repair of dust jackets.
• Repair of documents and plates
• Dry clean paper and cloth
• paper repairs including in-filling and lining
• Tone paper and cloth
• Repairs to leather bound books
This is not a course taught in one particular technique. You will get to learn and practice repairs techniques necessary to the book that you bring in - you are welcome to bring in more than one book, though you might not complete your project in one session. Subsequent on-going sessions can be booked.
At the end of the workshop, you will have some skills and know how to continue your book repairs and book restoration at home, as well as have completed some repairs on the books you brought with you.
Use of all the tools required in the Bindery, with all materials supplied.
- Expert guidance from one of Sydney’s leading Antiquarian Book Restorer, Isabelle, who can help you select materials and discuss how to apply them for your project.
Date: 7th July 2021
Time: 10am - 3.00pm
Some materials and tools are supplied at the Bindery, along with self-serve tea, coffee and biscuits. Lunch - toasted sandwiches can be pre-ordered.
Please note: No experience necessary, but the workshop requires a certain level of capability and confidence in using sharp instruments and being able to follow verbal instructions is expected. Some Bookbinding or working with paper skills would be useful.
PLEASE READ OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Written and delivered by Isabelle Ting McGowan © 2020 Isabelle Ting McGowan. All rights reserved.