Bookbinding for Beginners - 4th & 5th April 2020
$0.01 - $260.00
TUTOR: Isabelle McGowan
DATES: Saturday & Sunday 4th & 5th April 2020
TIME: 9.30am – 3.30pm
This is without doubt one of the best course aimed at absolute beginners level, designed for everyone. Taught by a professional practising Bookbinder, the aim of this course is to familiarise you with the necessary knowledge and skills to start you on a journey to make your own books.
Learn how to make beautiful handmade books for either your own personal use as a journal, sketch-book or notebook; or give them as a much appreciated gift to a loved one. A perfect and unique present at any time of the year.
This course is designed to provide a good working knowledge of materials and techniques. You will develop skills in both the production and design of hand made books enabling you to go onto more complex and experimental bindings.
Traditional book structures are explored, using materials that will endure over time.
- learn skills fundamental to hand bookbinding and be able to repeat and practice all the skills learned.
- use a variety of tools and materials and how to apply them to the sewing and construction of your book.
- learn grain direction, paper cutting, sewing sections and covering, select and use appropriate materials
In this workshop you will complete at least six projects and learn four bookbinding techniques to take home.
- a Japanese Stab Binding in full bookcloth, lined with decorative paper
- a Venetian Journal covered in full leather with decorative stitching and a leather tie
- a beautiful keepsake box covered in decorative paper
- several single section pamplet books, finished with hard cover and decorative paper
All materials and tools are supplied at the Bindery, along with self-serve tea, coffee and biscuits.
Please note, the workshop requires good hand-eye co-ordination, fine motor skills and cutting with sharp knife, students must have capability and confidence with this. You should be able to follow verbal instructions and health and safety information. Have basic numeracy to do accurate measurements and calculations.
PLEASE READ OUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Workshop written and delivered by Isabelle Ting McGowan © 2018 Isabelle Ting McGowan. All rights reserved.